Each year, tree trimming operations are scheduled to begin in May and Truckee Donner Public Utility District (TDPUD) undertakes a tree trimming program to trim or remove trees that are within our power line right of way. This program is mandated by the California Department of Forestry in an attempt to reduce the risk of fire from incidental contact between branches and overhead high voltage power lines. Tree trimming reduces the risk of fire in our community.
TDPUD does not provide tree trimming for power lines connected to your home (your service line/drop). Do not attempt to trim trees that are near power lines yourself. It can put you at serious risk of injury. Should trees near your service line require trimming, your or your tree trimming service can call the TDPUD at (530) 587-3896 to request we de-energize the line before the project begins. There is no charge for this service.
- TDPUD is required by law to maintain certain clearances around power lines.
- Contractors performing this work must be Cal-OSHA line clearance certified.
- TDPUD requires contractors performing this work to be a Certified Arborist with the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA).
- Trimming is tracked through our mapping system and is performed in cycles to address all areas of the District periodically.
- Only approved techniques are used for the health and appearance of trimmed trees.