Each summer the Truckee Donner Public Utility District (TDPUD) undertakes a line clearance/tree-trimming program to trim or remove trees that are within the power line right of way. This program is mandated by the California Department of Forestry in an attempt to help reduce the risk of fire from incidental contact between tree branches and overhead high voltage power lines. Tree branches that come in contact with the power lines can result in power outages or possibly cause a branch to ignite. Tree trimming insures the area’s beauty by reducing the risk of fire in our community.
Please do not attempt to trim trees that are near the power lines yourself. Doing so can put you at serious risk for injury. If you find trees that need to be trimmed, contact TDPUD Customer Service at 530-587-3896.
- Truckee Donner PUD owns and maintains about 134 miles of overhead power lines, and our Vegetation Management Program (tree trimming) is an integral part of its maintenance program.
- Safety is a top priority and trimming trees plays a significant role in providing safe, reliable service to your home or business.
- Trees growing into power lines present hazards including the risk of fire or power outages due to tree contact.
- TDPUD is required by law to maintain certain clearances around power lines.
About the Program
This year, tree trimming operations are scheduled to begin in May and will continue throughout the summer and fall months.
Contractors performing this work must be Cal-OSHA line clearance certified to allow them to work in close proximity to energized high-voltage power lines. In addition, the District requires the contractor who performs this work to be a Certified Arborist with the International Society of Arboriculture (ISA).
Tree trimming progress is tracked through the TDPUD GIS mapping system to manage trimming cycles and ensure all areas of the District are serviced periodically.
It is important to note that TDPUD does not provide tree trimming services for power lines connected to your home. Should trees near your service line require trimming, you or your tree trimming service may call the District to de-energize the lines before the project begins. There is no charge for this service.
Truckee Donner PUD understands how important trees are to our community. Therefore, the District and our contractor will make every effort to work with property owners to reach a mutually beneficial agreement about the proposed trimming. The contractor uses only approved techniques that maintain the health and natural appearance of trimmed trees.
If you have any questions regarding tree trimming operations, please call: 530-587-3896
Remember these important safety points:
- Look up and live! Watch for overhead power lines when moving ladders or tools.
- Need to prune or remove a tree? Call before you dig. to mark underground utilities.
- Inspect your trees in the fall, before winter weather sweeps in. Survey them again after any hard wind, ice or snowstorm.
- Don't let children play in trees near power lines. Even if a tree is not touching the lines, a child's weight on a branch can bring it into contact with live wires.